Thursday, February 16, 2006

For me, Emille is the LAW!

I apologize for the typos and the lack of cohesion, I am in a hurry, but wanted to put a thought down.


Its not what you think.

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."
Romans 7:7

Emille and the girls have gone out of town for about six days and I am all alone. Upon hearing this, almost every guy said something along the lines of “Oh, so this is like a vacation for you,” or “Sweet (yes, I work with Napoleon Dynamite), so you have a bachelor weekend.” But I see things differently

A Bachelor's life for...anyone but me!

This is a tough line of thinking, so follow carefully. Just as, according to the apostle Paul, the law exposed the lie that we were living, life with Emille and the girls has exposed the gross lack of fulfillment in my life when they are not around. Had I never been married to my best friend or been a Daddy to the two most precious girls in the world, going home to eat Ramen noodles and watch war movies might have sounded like the height of existence. But instead it just sounds like passing the time till the girls return. I am sure this is because I have, as they say, “Seen Paris” and now the farm just doesn’t hold the glamour that it apparently still does for so many men in situations strikingly similar to my own. That is sad, both for them and their families.

It feels good to hurt this bad

While it was certainly sad to see the girls off at the airport, I turned and walked the green mile back to the UCAV and drove back to work (Admittedly, I was thirty minutes into the drive when I realized I didn’t have to listen to the Dora DVD playing in the back) and while I was sad, I could not help but be thankful for times like this that remind me of how good I have it. If it all ended today for me, I would have loved more and loved more deeply than the vast majority of people in this world. Even though it is sad to be alone, in a strange way it feels good to be so intertwined with people that even a minor separation causes such an obvious emptiness. So here is my challenge to myself: Tonight, when the microwave “ding” tells me the Ramen noodles are ready, I will say a prayer of thanksgiving to a God who constantly watches over me and has seen fit to continually bless me beyond all measure at every turn. Come to think of it, maybe that is why God allowed me to marry Emille and have Bailey and Brylee, so I could understand His love for me.


Side Story : Bailey at the Airport

I stood there and watched them go trough the security line. The security guard waved Bailey to walk through the metal detector by herself. She looked at him oddly and then Emille gave her a gentle push and she walked through. When she got to the other side the TSA worker held up his hand to say “Stop” and Bailey gave him a high five

6 Comments:

Blogger jaime s said...

Wish I could've seen the high 5...too cute! I laughed out loud as I read that.

Sorry you are without the girls for awhile...your thoughts were very sweet. You have been blessed and are a blessing to them as well.

We'll keep Faith on standby in case you need a baby fix before yours return...

Unrelated random thought...I had a dream last night that we were in the airport rushing to make our flight to Dallas and I forgot to dress Faith. As I turned to do so, she "turned into" Bailey...but she was still Faith...it was really weird.

3:02 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

That is ok, a lot people think of Bailey as their "Dream Child." Sadly, the Lord made only one.

6:01 AM

 
Blogger April Spicer said...

Oh, this post touches my heart in a couple different ways.
1) I think it's beyond wonderful that you feel so fulfilled and don't find yourself searching for something you can't attain. To be truly content is a gift from God that only few RECEIVE. God can give it to people all the time, but few actually receive it.
2) Oddly enough, Brian and Noah are leaving me for SIX days tomorrow as well to go to CA. I have never been without both of them for more than 1 day. I find it very odd. And yes, i get the same feedback from everyone. However, you have to understand that the life moms live is a little different than the average man (not necessarily you.)Most moms said, "Man, how did you swing that deal?" or "wow, what a dream"
because they realize that as moms, we never get a spare moment alone and are always doing something for someone. The whole idea of "peace and quiet" is a dream of sorts---especially if your child is a boy. :)
However, despite all of this, I find myself thinking the same thing you do to an extent. I'm sad to let them go and I know I'll be sad many more times in 6 days. I have fallen so in love with Noah I hate to let him go. I'm used to letting Brian go because of his job. But not Noah---he's my bud. So last night I made a long list of things to do while they are gone so that they don't come back and I realize I have done nothing differently. Some items are fun stuff, and others are projects I need to accomplish. We'll see how many I get through!

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Julie said...

I praise the Lord for "real" men like you and my own husband as well as many others. I love reading your posts. You are obviously a wonderful, Godly man, husband and father. Once you've tasted such love nothing compares. I understand your feelings very well, yet as a mom I do also agree with April. Those quite down times are priceless too.
Love ya,
Julie

2:09 PM

 
Blogger Brooks Inc. said...

You really do live a wonderful life. I am so thanful for Emille and your precious girls. However, I relate well to April and Julie...I look forward to breaks when going to the restroom does not involve 2 people beating on the door screaming my name. Love you-BJB

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Julie said...

Hey Beck,
At least that is somewhat of a knock. If I don't lock it my youngest just barges right on in!

3:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home