Thursday, February 09, 2006

Moving On

The Vision

When I came to Science Applications International Corporation in the fall of 2003 I was so excited to make a difference. I had been out of grad school for about a year and a half and had yet to really apply the skills that I had learned there. I imagined someday, after changing the world, I would leave SAIC and head on to bigger and better things. I imagined myself standing in the doorway of my office, somewhat tired from a day of hectic, exciting work. Standing there with my trench coat in hand and looking somewhat more svelte than I was at the time, I would turn to look at the empty office. A flood of memories would cascade through my mind. The jokes, the laughing faces, the lives that were changed, all those times I saved the world from utter devastation, they would all run through my mind and with a sly grin I would turn out the lights, shut the door to my office and walk out.

The Reality

Reality however, was much different. Despite the fact that I have worked in a cube my entire time here and therefore have no lights and no door I was thinking that I at least had another to weeks to work in the whole “saving the world” part of it. But that was not to be either. While I may still save the world in the next two weeks, today is my last day in my cube at the Towers here in McLean. When I got to work this morning I was told to pack up and report to the Pentagon in the morning and that I would finish out my time with SAIC there. So I packed up all my belongings, it took half of a small box and tonight I will stand in the “no doorway” and think back across the years (both of them) and thank the Lord for this opportunity. I have learned so much in my time here. The Lord certainly called Emille and I to Northern Virginia and he used SAIC to confirm that call. I could not have had a better, more understanding boss. My co-workers have been awesome. I have nothing but good things to say about my time here and I wish the best for everyone I have worked with.

The Humbled

The other day I met a guy fresh from grad school who thought that he knew it all and the more he talked, the more it was apparent that he did not. I found it annoying. I was talking to him and all of the sudden was flush with embarrassment as I realized I was looking at myself from two years back. This guy was much smarter than I ever was after grad school. I hope that the Lord guides him as he guided me to a kind, but not necessarily gentle occupational refining fire. He will no doubt be a SecDef someday and my humiliation will be complete. I thank the Lord that he put me into contact with people who tolerate(d) me and lead me through the details. As I look forward to the career change I cannot help but be excited and humbled at the same time. I look forward to the change of pace but am humbled by again being the ignorant new guy. I am confident in my abilities and yet humbled by my inadequacies. It is only with the Lord that we succeed at anything and so I will be doing my best to cling to Him as I make this transition.

I would type more but my mom is the only one still reading, and there is a world that needs saving.

5 Comments:

Blogger leslie said...

I was still reading!! Good luck to you in this transition... James and I will say a special prayer for you!

11:39 AM

 
Blogger vicki said...

Aunt Vicki made it all the way to the end!! Love you, and blessings on your sweet fam. Just got back from Houston, saving the world from...I mean helping out aunt Jan as she spent a few days in the hosp. Fears of another stroke were unfounded, praise God, and she is back at work today. Hope that new job includes a window and a door. And keep on writing!

12:49 PM

 
Blogger sj said...

What in the world is wrong with writing more for your mom??...mom

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats once again on your new job! We look forward to hearing your upcoming DoD adventures.....

7:02 AM

 
Blogger jaime s said...

Who could pull themselves away from such writing?!!? Certainly not me!!

Best of luck on the new chapter. Looking forward to reading about those experiences as well.

Jaime

8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home