Thursday, December 29, 2005

Blind leading the Blind

Unique experience of the day:

The guy who works the snack shop here on post is blind. I went to buy a snack and handed him my credit/debit card. He immediately told me that they did not accept credit cards. I told him, “There is a sign over there on the coke refrigerator that says you do.” His reply, “no, there is not.” Not wanting to be rude or insensitive I set my items on the counter and walked over and read the sign. Sure enough, it says they accept MasterCard, Visa and AMEX. I return to the counter and say “yeah, it says that you guys accept MasterCard, Visa and AMEX.” “Where is the sign?” he asks. “It is over on the refrigerator,” “No, it isn’t, there is no sign.” Not really knowing how to handle myself I say, “if you do not accept them that is fine, but you DO have a sign that says you do.” “There is no sign for credit cards,” he replies, somewhat agitated. Trying to behave properly in this extreme PC environment I am starting to think I am going to have to “pull rank” on him, if you know what I mean. Luckily, his co-worker, who can see, came out of the back and cleared everything up. I was right! She tore down the sign and said “Sorry.” With this I left the snack shop, still hungry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooks Inc. said...

Hope you found some food...I got allof the pictures up finally...Love you-

BJB

12:44 PM

 
Blogger Blair said...

You should pay cash in that situation anyway.

"No, I gave you a hundred dollar bill - you should give me back $97.50"

7:53 AM

 
Blogger Beth P said...

Sam, I am finally up and runnin' with my blog...how long ago did you leave that comment...I obviously haven't been on it in a while.
Is there anyone who can tell me the secret to posting pics? I apparently loaded them onto Blogger, but they didn't show up on my post...I new at this stuff.
Thanks for lookin'!
(you can email me details if you want...bplemons@sbcglobal.net )

8:20 PM

 
Blogger James M. said...

Sam,

You should have used sign language. Ha ha, get it.

I kill me

10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home