Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Long, but it is important

First, I recognize two facts, I am a nerd and I live in Washington. These two facts alone mean that 98% of Americans don’t care about the following. But if blogs are supposed to be about things that the writer is thinking about than it is okay for me to have this here.

In my line of work one of the constant frustrations is the need to remind people that we are at WAR. Regardless of what you think about this administration, there are reasons that we have not been attacked since 9/11 and it is not because Al Qaeda is resting. Whether it is this story or the one about the CIA Air fleet being exposed or countless stories about military techniques in Iraq or the most famous, the revelation that the NSA could eavesdrop of Bin Laden’s Sat phone (which he immediately stopped using as soon as the story was published, that was a great intel source that the media took away from us) I get infuriated when I see these weasily reporters write a story because they want the scoop. Do they never consider that the story that they are using to make a name for themselves is endangering lives and National Security? This is not about politics. Anyone who knows me knows that I have quite a few problems with the President’s policies. This is about making sure that my two sweet girls can sleep in peace at night. It is about making sure that their husbands and sons don’t have to leave them to fight this same enemy.

The following story establishes firmly that the President HAD the authority to order the wiretaps. The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review, the very court that so many are saying he should have gone to has issued an opinion giving him the authority. So, How on EARTH is the New York Times story ANYTHING but the revelation of intelligence gathering techniques to the public, and therefore, the enemy!?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0512210142dec21,0,3553632.story?coll=chi-newsopinioncommentary-hed

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sam, I totally agree with everything that you said in this post! I actually think Boone and I have had conversations that sounded almost exactly like your entire post. I have come to the conclusion over the past few years that reporters (not all I understand) have to be some of the most selfish human beings to publish what they publish in order to get ahead as much of it puts our country and most importantly the American citizens in danger.

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Once again, I completely agree. It amazes me that while we are at war, others are more concerned with civil rights- it just makes no sense to me when civil rights means nothing if we don't have security first. And you are so right- it's not just a coincidence that there have not been any attacks in the past 4 years, but of course no one at the NY Times is going to recognize that......

6:12 AM

 
Blogger Brooks Inc. said...

Sam-

You are so gifted at articulating your thoughts and putting things in perspective. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Love you-
BJB

6:24 AM

 
Blogger Shanta said...

Amen Sam. You've opened a good can to think about.

7:16 AM

 
Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

We're all on your side, Sam! You are exactly right. It's all about the dollar; being the first to break some "scandal" so they can improve their reputation and put their invidual or their paper's name first. By the way, don't be so modest, you're a BRILLIANT nerd from Washington...don't ever forget the "brilliant" part...
-Randy

12:47 PM

 
Blogger Carter Davis said...

"if blogs are supposed to be about things that the writer is thinking about than it is okay for me to have this here."

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm not sure where you get the idea you have the ability to use a blog to say what's on your mind...I'm pretty sure the purpose of the blog is to post cute pictures and ancedotes about your kids! :)

Happy New Year!

7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home