Friday, December 16, 2005

The Feliz-ing of America

My day started very early today. So early, in fact, that Mc Donald’s was still serving dinner when I stopped by on my way in. Suffice to say that I am a little tired. So I am sitting here at my desk writing a very important document (somewhere in the DOD, someone needs to hold down a shelf, so they have me write a massive document) and I since my brain is a little foggy (I had coffee and McD’s Chicken Selects for breakfast) I am thinking my way through the wording and all of the sudden an elf appears next to my desk. At this point you are thinking that I am either hallucinating or I am making something up. I assure that neither is true. This elf, a full grown man (easily mid 50s) in a green sleeping cap with bells on it, a green felt shirt with gold buttons on it, really tight green tights, green pointy shoes with bells on them pushes a candy filled cart into view and hands me a candy cane and says in a loud voice, “Merry Christmas!” My first thought was, his boss knows he is doing this! Followed by, a government employee just said “merry CHRISTMAS,” how unusual, followed by, that is perhaps not the most unusual thing about this man. How secure does one have to be in their masculinity, or total lack thereof to prance around a military base dressed like that!? I was, honestly, caught so off guard that he had probably left the building by the time I had a reaction. How do you put that on a resume? What do you put down as your quals for a job like that? Maybe, “I got some green tights in Jr. high, Yes sir, I am pretty sure they still fit.” What is that guy's salary? Who pays it? This joint is amazing!

10 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

Ha,ha...what can I say? That's my dad! Give him a hug for me next time he comes by.

7:10 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I went looking to give him a hug and found him free basing in the break room. I didn't want to interrupt, he was having such a good time, without one drop of alcohol in sight!

7:18 AM

 
Blogger Blair said...

He's a sweet guy, but DO NOT talk bug him while he's "loading up."

He really gets into the season and I miss him.

DO NOT bug him, though. And don't touch him without telling him you're about to touch him.

7:50 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Are you kidding me, I grew up with Becky. I think I know how to handle myself around a Heroin addict in an elf costume.

8:05 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot imagine what time you were at McDonalds if they were not even serving breakfast.....and with your sarcasm, I don't even know whether or not to believe the elf story!?!?

9:04 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Kelly-

I wish I was kidding.

9:13 AM

 
Blogger Julie said...

You have absolutely no idea how much laughter you inject into my day when I read your blog!
Love ya,
Merry CHRISTmas!
Julie

5:08 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I thought this was going to be a commentary on immigration by the title.

8:20 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

That is funny, Sam. BACK TO WORK!

8:48 AM

 
Blogger James M. said...

I'm sure they are still hiring if those tights you used to wear in Jr. High still fit. I was able to read that gleam in your eye.

Anything with a midget is funny. I think Chappelle show season 3 will prove this theory.

10:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home